Tuesday, December 25, 2012

Creating a Compelling Scorecard


Creating a Compelling Scorecard
by Sue Kruse
 
To move an organization from a 'kick me' to a 'count on me' orientation takes accountability and trackable measurement. Sue Kruse talks about how using a Scorecard can help accomplish a proactive environment.
 
Take a common scenario-customers complain about restrooms not being clean enough. Everyone scrambles to find a solution and what often happens is that we as trainers get a call saying that the training is bad and that's why the bathrooms are filthy. That's the kick me approach. The other approach is more proactive. It says everyone has accountability and that all can work together to make sure things get done properly. That's the count on me approach.
 
This idea is a new look at a new definition of the 'Oz Principle', a book that came out of the Harvard Business School written by Roger Connors and Tom Smith.
 
The concept is an attitude of continually asking 'what else can I do' to rise above my circumstances and achieve the results I desire?' It is the process of seeing, owning, solving and doing. It requires a level of ownership that includes making, keeping and proactively answering for personal commitments. It is a perspective that embraces both current and future efforts rather than reactive and historical explanations.
 
It's an 'above the line' orientation to problem solving where everyone has the attitude of 'see it', 'own it', 'solve it' and 'do it.' It's the polar opposite of 'below the line ' behavior, 'The Blame Game' where employees are apt to: ignore or deny problems, say 'It's not my job,' use finger pointing, continually ask what they should be doing, covering their tails or taking a passive approach, the 'wait and see' attitude.
 
So how can we move our departments from a 'Kick Me' to a 'Count on Me' orientation? What we have found to be effective is to create a scorecard. The scorecard helps you move from a strictly problem solving department:
 
a) where a need arises and you respond
 
b) to a department with a mission and goals so that you can anticipate problems before they occur
 
Scorecards help you:
 
a) clarify the competencies that make a 'good fit' between a candidate and a particular person
 
b) quantify key accountabilities that define 'A' level performance in a specific job
 
c) focus everyone on the most critical performance issues
 
d) define what 'A' level performance looks like in a particular job
 
e) let people know what they will be responsible for delivering
 
f) give 'A' players a level of ownership and accountability, something 'A' players love
 
g) build a 'performance culture'
 
The first step in developing a scorecard for your organization is to set clearly defined results. We use a color coded system of green, yellow and red. For example, one 'operating standard' for field training for our operations is that every GM, AM and FPM in every corporate store has a current ServSafe certification on file, and that every RM/FC is certified to proctor. If all of my managers have certification, then I am at 100% and I am in the green zone. If just one falls short, then I have a yellow score. If more than one is not certified, then I fall into the red zone. Because of the scorecard, there is no guessing. I always know where my scores are and if I have anything in the red, I know to fix it right away.
 
The second step is to make the results clear to all staff team members. Everyone knows what my score is and we work in partnership to make sure we are all working in the green zone. I myself am nothing without the regional management staff. When I'm in the green, I celebrate with the regional managers. And that leads to the third step which is to establish joint accountability for the results, let everyone know that it's a team effort to stay in the green zone. Finally, you must publish the results each period so that everyone sees what the score is for different areas and can see how to improve for the next period.
 
There are many benefits to using a scorecard system. Scorecards identify and recognize top performers, set up a low cost/no cost recognition system i.e. set up what 'A' level performance looks like, and scorecards use people's strengths to move performance.
 
Everyone in the organization becomes part of the process. With a scorecard people have a visual representation to gauge performance. Scorecards encourage open and candid communication allowing people to ask for feedback. They offer feedback and help people see the reality of the situation. Scorecards help people 'See It'. With a scorecard everyone develops a personal investment in their jobs and investments are acknowledged. Employees gain ownership and buy-in. Scorecards help people 'Own It'. People begin to ask 'What else can I do to achieve the desired result'. They actively redefine boundaries and creatively deal with obstacles while staying focused on the results. They 'Solve It'. Finally, everyone reports results proactively, relentlessly follow up and they do things they say they'll do because the progress is continuously measured. They 'Do It'.
 
Since we have implemented the scorecard I've noticed that people 'play' differently. It creates a certain intensity. Huddles happen, new plays and strategies are created constantly and everyone adapts quickly to changes. Scorecards have worked well in our organization. It has changed and improved the way I work. I know I can't sleep if I'm in the red zone. I'm confident that you will benefit from increased accountability when you introduce scorecards in your organization.
 

No comments: